Take the classic Jens Pind weave, mix up the jump ring sizes, add a few captive rings, and voila! You’ve got a fantastic necklace.
And then, you’re ready for this elegant variation. This Y necklace is mainly the tapered Just One Ring chainmaille necklace made in all aluminum (which does make it more challenging than a tri-color version), plus a few captive rings in Faux Gold (gold anodized aluminum).
All ring sizes and conversions are listed in the Just One Ring tutorial.
1. To start, weave the piece in a single color of aluminum (of course, you can use multiple colors if you prefer), following the instructions as outlined in Just One Ring. EXCEPT: Do NOT create the extra-large unit of SS14 rings in the center of the piece.
NOTE: At this point you only have a regular necklace without the tail of the Y. You’ll add that in step 3.
2. Then, add 5 captive rings, shown in gold. They are size SS14. See the diagram below for a closer view. You’ll add them inside the T16 units, encircling the Z16 units.
3. Onto the gold ring in the center, add 2 intertwined (möbiused) T16s to start the tail that hangs straight down.
4. Continue with a G16 ring and then L16 rings, and so on, following the Just One Ring directions to lengthen the tail. Create 2 segments (see diagram), finishing on a set of T16 rings.
5. Add 2 H16 rings side by side through the final T16 rings.
6. Through the doubled H16 rings, add a Z16, T16 and L16 ring. They should nestle within one another.
7. Add the remaining 2 gold SS14 captive rings—the top one through two T16 units as usual and the final one just through the bottom set of T16 rings.